Pretoria is the administrative centre of South Africa and known as the Jacaranda City. Much more laid back than nearby Johannesburg, the city bursts with colour from the jacarandas in the spring time.
Sport in Pretoria
Rugby Union and Football are among the most popular sports to watch in Pretoria:
- The Loftus Versfeld Stadium is the main sporting focal point of the city, previously hosting matches at both the 1995 Rugby World Cup and 2010 FIFA World Cup. Today the stadium is home to the Bulls of Super Rugby and the Blue Bulls competing in the domestic Currie Cup and often hosts Springbok international matches.
- The city’s main football teams are the Mamelodi Sundowns and SuperSport United F.C. who both play the majority of their matches at the Lucas “Masterpieces” Moripe Stadium, although the Sundowns do also use the Loftus Versfeld for their high profile matches.
- The city does not have an international cricket stadium, the closest being Supersport Park in Centurion, approximately 20 kilometres south of Pretoria. The ground hosted matches at both the 2003 Cricket World Cup and 2007 T20 World Cup.
Getting to Pretoria
Air – The closest major airport is O. R. Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg – South Africa’s primary international and domestic airport, offering direct flights to destinations on all continents.
From the airport, the Gautrain runs to Pretoria in about 40 minutes, with a change at Marlboro. There are plans for there to be a direct service to Pretoria from the airport.
Thinking of flying to Pretoria? Search & book your flights through Skyscanner here.
Bus – Pretoria Bus Station is located next to the railway station, with the well known companies of City to City, Greyhound, Intercape and Translux all offering intercity travel from there.
Train – Pretoria railway station is located in central Pretoria, sitting on the the Metrorail Gauteng, for services in and around the province along with long distance Shosholoza Meyl services from Johannesburg to Polokwane and Nelspruit.. The Gautrain links Park Station in Joahnnesburg with Pretoria, or indirectly with the airport as above.
Where to stay in Pretoria
Use TripAdvisor to find some great places to stay in Pretoria by clicking here.
Food & Drink in Pretoria
Use TripAdvisor to read other travellers reviews of bars and restaurants and find some great places to eat and drink in Pretoria.
What to do in Pretoria
- The Voortrekker Monument is one of the country’s most visited historic monuments, the 40 metre structure commemorates the journey of the Voortrekkers who trekked north into unknown territory in the mid 19th century.
- The Union Buildings are the government headquarters and was the site of Nelson Mandela’s inauguration in 1994, commemorated by a 9 metre statue among the gardens in the city’s highest point.
- The National Zoological Gardens of South Africa is a large zoo as well as offering the country’s only inland aquarium, with a cable car offering great views over the city.
Last Updated on February 24, 2021 by Sports Tourist