Sport in Bristol
- Bristol is home to two professional football clubs – Bristol City and Bristol Rovers who are considered great rivals.
- Bristol City are considered the more successful of the two clubs, have played in the highest division of English football in the late 1970s. They current compete in the Football League Championship and have played their matches at Ashton Gate since 1904.
- Bristol Rovers have competed in the Football League every season since 1920, except one during the 2014/15 season in which they won the Conference Premier play-off Final. Rovers have played their home matches at the Memorial Stadium since 1996.
- The professional rugby union club Bristol Bears currently play in the highest division, Premiership Rugby. The club had previously played at the Memorial Stadium from 1921 to 2014, but have since moved to the larger Ashton Gate.
- Gloucestershire County Cricket Club are based in the city, playing the majority of their matches at the Bristol County Ground. The club had great success in limited over competitions in the late 1990s/early 2000s.
Travelling to Bristol
Airport: Bristol Airport is located south of the city, with airlines including easyJet, Flybmi, Ryanair, Thomas Cook Airlines and TUI Airways serving many European destinations. The Airport Flyer Express bus service connects the city with the airport, with a journey time of approximately 35 minutes.
Search & book your flights through Skyscanner here.
Train: Bristol Temple Meads has services from a number of UK major cities, including London Paddington, Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Where to Stay in Bristol
What to do in Bristol
Bristol is home to two of the UK’s most famous sights, both designed by the legendary engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel: the SS Great Britain, one of the most technologically advanced ships of its time, and the Clifton Suspension Bridge – a 76 metre high bridge spanning the Avon Gorge.
Cabot Circus is an impressive shopping centre sat within the shopping district of Bristol, home to a number of well known shops, bars and restaurants.
Last Updated on