Cape Town is South Africa’s ‘Mother City’, being at the forefront of the development of the country and is one of the most dramatic cities in the world, overlooked by the spectacular Table Mountain and flanked by pristine beaches.
Sport in Cape Town
Rugby Union, Cricket and Football are among the most popular sports to watch in Cape Town:
- The rugby union Stormers team that compete in Super Rugby are based in the city, playing their home matches at Newlands Stadium. The provincial side of Western Province compete in the domestic Currie Cup and also play their matches at Newlands Stadium.
- The nearby Newlands Cricket Ground regularly hosts international cricket, as well as being home to the Cape Cobras franchise team which competes in the country’s domestic competitions.
- There are two teams from Cape Town that compete in the country’s premier football competition, the Premier Soccer League – Ajax Cape Town and Cape Town City F.C. who both play at Cape Town Stadium. The stadium was built for the 2010 FIFA World Cup and hosted several matches, including a semi-final.
- Santos F.C. are also based in the city, playing their matches at Athlone Stadium.
- The Cape Town Cycle Tour is the world’s largest timed race and is traditionally staged on the second Sunday of March and is part of the UCI’s Golden Bike Series.
Getting to Cape Town
Airport – Cape Town International Airport is the second busiest airport in South Africa and fourth busiest in the African continent. The airport has direct international connections to several destinations in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Europe and the United States and domestic connections Johannesburg and Durban.
The A01 MyCiTi bus runs between Cape Town Civic Centre and the Airport, costing around R70 and running every 20 minutes.
Thinking of flying to Cape Town? Search & book your flights through Skyscanner here.
Bus – The bus terminus is located next to Cape Town railway station, with the well known companies of City to City, Greyhound, Intercape and Translux all stopping there.
Train – Cape Town railway station is the main hub of the Metrorail Western Cape, for services in and around Cape Town. There are also Shosholoza Meyl intercity services daily to Johannesburg via Kimberley, and weekly services to a weekly service to Durban, Bloemfontein, Pietermaritzburg and East London.
Where to stay in Cape Town
Use TripAdvisor to find some great places to stay in Cape Town by clicking here.
Food & Drink in Cape Town
Use TripAdvisor to read other travellers reviews of bars and restaurants and find some great places to eat and drink in Cape Town.
What to do in Cape Town
- Take a cable car to the top of Table Mountain and enjoy amazing views across the city.
- Visit the infamous Robben Island, touring the prison of where Nelson Mandela was incarcerated.
- Head to the Cape of Good Hope for deserted beaches and great scenery.
- Walk through the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, ranking among one of the most beautiful in the world.
- Get up close to the penguin colony at Boulders Beach.
- Wonder among the shops, restaurants and bars of the historic V&A Waterfront.
Last Updated on February 24, 2021 by Sports Tourist