- This event has passed.
2022 Commonwealth Games
The Commonwealth Games is a large scale multi-sport competition, contested by members of the Commonwealth of Nations and takes place every 4 years, with the 22nd edition scheduled from Thursday 28th July to Monday 8th August 2022.
Durban in South Africa were originally awarded the 2022 Commonwealth Games but were stripped as hosts in March 2017 due to financial constraints. The Games are therefore instead being hosted in Birmingham, England for the first time at the following venues:
Birmingham and the West Midlands
- Alexander Stadium (Capacity – 40,000) – Opening/Closing Ceremonies & Athletics
- Arena Birmingham (Capacity – 15,000) – Artistic and Rhythmic Gymnastics
- Cannock Chase – Cycling (Mountain Bike, Road & Time Trial)
- Edgbaston Cricket Ground (Capacity – 25,000) – Cricket
- National Exhibition Centre (Capacity – 5,000) – Badminton, Boxing, Table Tennis, Netball & Weightlifting
- Ricoh Arena, Coventry (Capacity – 32,753) – Rugby 7s, Judo & Wrestling
- Sandwell Aquatics Centre (Capacity – 5,000) – Swimming & Diving
- Sutton Park – Triathlon
- University of Birmingham (Capacity – 5,000) – Squash & Hockey
- Victoria Square (Capacity – 3,000) – Basketball 3×3
- Victoria Park, Leamington Spa (Capacity – 2,000) – Lawn bowls
Outside the West Midlands
Shooting was to initially be excluded from the 2022 Commonwealth Games, a decision which had led to the threat of India boycotting the Games. It was therefore announced in February 2020 that the 2022 Commonwealth Archery and Shooting Championships will take place in Chandigarh, India.
The Track cycling event will be held 136 miles away from Birmingham at the Lee Valley VeloPark in London as there was no suitable venue within the West Midlands.
How do I get to the 2022 Commonwealth Games?
Airport: Birmingham Airport is located approximately 8 miles east of Birmingham city centre. The Airport serves European destinations, as well as international destinations such as the Caribbean, India, Pakistan, Qatar and the UAE. There is a train station (Birmingham International) at the airport which connects to central Birmingham.
Alternatively, Megabus offers cheap travel to Birmingham and offers over 10 routes from Aberdeen, Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Newcastle, Norwich and Sheffield. You can search and book your tickets here.
Train: Birmingham New Street Station is the biggest of Birmingham’s train stations, it serves many destinations across the UK including Bournemouth, Bristol Temple Meads, Cardiff Central, Edinburgh Waverley, Glasgow Central, Leicester, London Euston, Manchester Piccadilly, Newcastle, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sheffield and Southampton Central. From the station take the bus as listed above, or use a taxi.
Birmingham’s other main stations, Moor Street and Snow Hill are more regional, although there is a service to London Marylebone from Moor Street.
Where to stay in Birmingham during the Commonwealth Games
How do I get tickets to the 2022 Commonwealth Games?
Over 1 million tickets will be available for the 2022 Commonwealth Games and are expected to go on sale in late 2020 or early 2021. For further information and to sign up for updates, check the official website.
2022 Commonwealth Games Official Website: https://www.birmingham2022.com
Commonwealth Games Official Website: https://thecgf.com
Last Updated on May 20, 2022 by Sports Tourist