The first match was played in 1972, with a match played over two legs between Ajax, the European Cup holders and Rangers, the European Cup Winners’ Cup holders. Ajax won 6-3 but the match is considered as unofficial by UEFA as Rangers were banned from European competition due to the behaviour of their fans during the 1972 UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup Final. The first official match was therefore in 1973 in which Ajax defeated A.C. Milan 6-1 on aggregate.
The most successful clubs in the UEFA Super Cup are Barcelona and A.C. Milan who have each won the competition five times. Liverpool are the current holders, winning their fourth title after defeating Chelsea 5-4 on penalties at the Vodafone Park in Istanbul, after the match finished 2-2.
When is the UEFA Super Cup?
The UEFA Super Cup is normally seen as a ‘curtain-raiser’ to a new season. From 2014, the date was moved from Friday in late August, to Tuesday in mid-August.
The 2020 UEFA Super Cup was due to be played on the 12th August 2020 but was delayed to the 24th September 2020 due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
Where is the UEFA Super Cup?
The UEFA Super Cup was originally played over two legs at each of the participant’s home venues. However the format was changed in 1998 to be played as a single venue at a neutral venue, which from 1998 to 2012 was the Stade Louis II in Monaco.
Since 2013, the match has been played at a different stadium each year:
- 2013 – Eden Arena (Prague, Czech Republic)
- 2014 – Cardiff City Stadium (Cardiff, Wales)
- 2015 – Boris Paichadze Dinamo Arena (Tbilisi, Georgia)
- 2016 – Lerkendal Stadion (Trondheim, Norway)
- 2017 – Philip II Arena (Skopje, Macedonia)
- 2018 – A. Le Coq Arena (Tallinn, Estonia)
- 2019 – Vodafone Park (Istanbul, Turkey)
- 2020 – Puskás Aréna (Budapest, Hungary)
- 2021 – Windsor Park (Belfast, Northern Ireland)
- 2022 – Olympic Stadium (Helsinki, Finland)
- 2023 – Ak Bars Arena (Kazan, Russia)
How do I get tickets to the UEFA Super Cup?
Ticket information for the UEFA Super Cup Final will be available on the official UEFA website, you can subscribe to updates on the official website here.