The AFC Asian Cup is an international competition for senior men’s football, contested by the national sides from the Asian Football Confederation (AFC). First held in 1956, Qatar are the current holders having defeated Japan 3-1 at the 2019 AFC Asian Cup in the UAE.
Japan are the most successful team with four victories, followed by Saudi Arabia and Iran with three wins each.
When is the AFC Asian Cup?
The AFC Asian Cup took place every 4 years from 1956 up until the 2004 tournament. It was then decided to move the competition to a less crowded cycle, having previously coincided with the Summer Olympics and UEFA European Championships. Therefore the tournament has now been held every 4 years since 2007.
The 18th edition of the AFC Asian Cup is to be held between the 9th June and 9th July 2023.
Where is the AFC Asian Cup?
The 2023 AFC Asian Cup is being hosted by the China for the second time have also hosted the 2004 tournament, at the following venues:
- Beijing – Beijing Workers’ Stadium (Capacity – 71,000)
- Chengdu – Chengdu Fenghuangshan Football Stadium (Capacity – 57,087)
- Chongqing – Chongqing Liangjiang Football Stadium (Capacity – 60,000)
- Dalian – Dalian Suoyuwan Football Stadium (Capacity – 60,000)
- Qingdao – Qingdao Youth Football Stadium (Capacity – 52,800)
- Shanghai – Shanghai Pudong Football Stadium (Capacity – 37,000)
- Suzhou – Suzhou Kunshan Sports Park (Capacity – 45,000)
- Tianjin – Tianjin Binhai TEDA Football Stadium (Capacity – 37,450)
- Xiamen – Xiamen Xiang’an Football Stadium (Capacity – 60,041)
- Xi’an – Xi’an Fengdong XIFC Football Stadium (Capacity – 60,000)
The hosts of the 2027 AFC Asian Cup are set to be announced in 2021, with the following countries expressing their interest: India, Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Uzbekistan.
Who is competing in the AFC Asian Cup?
The 2019 Asian Cup was the first to be expanded to 24 teams, up from 16 teams. The hosts qualify automatically for the tournament, with the remaining 23 teams decided by a qualification process.
The qualifiers for the Asian Cup also double up as the qualification process for the FIFA World Cup. Therefore the hosts do also participate in the qualification process, although their place in the Asian Cup is already guaranteed.
Qualification for the 2023 AFC Asian Cup began in June 2023 and will take place over three rounds and a play-off round. China have already qualified for the 2023 AFC Asian Cup as hosts.
How do I get to the AFC Asian Cup?
All of the host cities for the 2023 AFC Asian Cup have major international airports, with flights on offer across Asia and the world. The two busiest however with the most choice of international flights are Beijing Capital International Airport and Shanghai Pudong International Airport.
How do I get tickets to the AFC Asian Cup?
Ticket information for the 2023 AFC Asian Cup has yet to be released. However information when available will be on the official website.