Named after the 232 metre hill that dominates the skyline, this enclave is part of greater Tauranga in the wonderful Bay of Plenty.
Sport in Mount Maunganui
Cricket, Surfing and Speedway are among the most popular sports in Mount Maunganui and wider Tauranga:
- The Bay Oval is a cricket ground that has hosted all forms of international cricket, including the 2018 Under 19 Cricket World Cup final. The Bay Oval has become has one of the regular venues used by the Northern Districts in the Plunket Shield and Ford Trophy, and the Knights in the Super Smash.
- Surfing is popular in Mount Maunganui, with Mount Beach offering some of the best surf in New Zealand and regularly hosting surf competitions.
- In Tauranga, there is a large stadium complex, Baypark Stadium which hosts speedway in the summer and rugby in the winter.
Getting to Mount Maunganui
Airport – Tauranga Airport is located just 3 kilometres from Bay Oval and 6km from Tauranga. The airport is a small regional airport with flights to Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. The closest international airport Auckland, about a 90 minute drive to the North of Hamilton.
With the airport being less than 10 minutes away from both Tauranga and Mount Maunganui, taxi is the best choice of getting to the Airport and will be relatively inexpensive.
Bus – InterCity has buses running from Tauranga/Mount Maunganui to most of the North Island, and indirectly to the South Island. The Twin City Express runs twice daily from Monday to Friday between Tauranga/Mount Maunganui to Rotorua via Te Puke.
The City Link (CL) bus runs from Tauranga CBD to Mount Maunganui in about 15 minutes.
Where to stay in Mount Maunganui
Food & Drink in Mount Maunganui
What to do in Mount Maunganui
- Mauao/Mount Maunganui – Climbing the mountain takes about an hour return but it is steep. However there are wonderful views on offer of the harbour, beach and Pacific Ocean.
- Beaches – Mount Beach offers some of the best surf in New Zealand, with an artificial reef recently installed to offer consistently perfect waves. Ocean Beach, located away from the Mount offers a quieter stretch of sand.
- Hot pools – There are a number of naturally heated salt water pools in Mount Maunganui in order to take a long relaxing soak.
- Swim with Dolphins – Several companies in Tauranga offer Dolphin-spotting tours, with the opportunity to swim with them once you’re up close.
- McLaren Falls & Kaimai Mamaku Forest Park – The local scenic spots are located just a few miles outside of Tauranga.
Last Updated on February 24, 2021 by Sports Tourist