Hamilton is located on the banks of the Waikato River in the North Island.
Sport in Hamilton
Rugby Union, Cricket, Football, Basketball and Netball are among the most popular sports to watch in Hamilton:
- Waikato Stadium is primarily used as a rugby stadium, regularly hosting the Chiefs in the Super Rugby tournament and the Waikato team in the Mitre 10 Cup.
- Seddon Park is a cricket venue that hosts international cricket, as well as the Northern Districts cricket team (Knights in the Super Smash).
Getting to Hamilton
Airport – Hamilton Airport is located about 15km south of Hamilton. The Airport is solely used for domestic flights and has regular flights to Christchurch, Gisborne, New Plymouth, Palmerston North, Tauranga and Wellington. The closest international airport Auckland, about a 90 minute drive to the North of Hamilton.
Hamilton can be reached from Hamilton Airport by shuttle bus which costs $30 and takes approximately 20 minutes, or a taxi costs $50/$60 and also takes about 20 minutes.
Thinking of going to Hamilton? Search & book your flights through Skyscanner here.
Bus – InterCity has buses running from Hamilton (Hamilton Transport Centre) to most of the North Island, and indirectly to the South Island.
Busit! serves the region of Waikato, running from Hamilton Transport Centre to Cambridge, Ngaruawahia and Raglan.
Train – Hamilton’s Frankton train station is on the Northern Explorer route between Auckland and Wellington, running on Monday’s, Thursday’s and Saturday’s. The train travels through Otorohanga, Tongariro National Park, Ohakune, Palmerston North and Paraparaumu on its way to Wellington, leaving at 10:15am, or via Papakura on the Auckland line leaveing at 4:30pm.
Where to stay in Hamilton
Use TripAdvisor to find some great places to stay in Hamilton by clicking here.
Food & Drink in Hamilton
Use TripAdvisor to read other travellers reviews of bars and restaurants and find some great places to eat and drink in Hamilton by clicking here.
What to do in Hamilton
- Hamilton Gardens – Spread over 50 hectares, Hamilton Gardens is made up of a number of different gardens featuring themes from across the world.
- Waikato Museum – The Waikato Museum features five different main themes – an art gallery, science gallery, Maori treasures, history of Hamilton and an exhibition on the Waikato River.
- Hamilton Zoo – This zoo features over 500 different species and offers behind the scenes guided-tours.
Last Updated on February 24, 2021 by Sports Tourist