The Royal St. George’s Golf Club was founded in 1887 by Dr William Laidlaw Purves, a Scottish surgeon who intended for the course to be a rival to St Andrew’s in the South of England.
The club is one of 10 courses on the Open Championship rotation, the only to be located in the South of England and when it hosted its first in 1894, became the first Open Championship to be played outside of Scotland. The course has gone on to host 14 Open Championships and is due to host its 15th in 2021. Winners of The Open at St. George’s include Darren Clarke (2011), Ben Curtis (2003) and Greg Norman (1993).
Address: Clubhouse, Kent, Sandwich CT13 9QB
Location & Travel to Royal St. George’s Golf Club
The Royal St. George’s Golf Club is located in the small town of Sandwich in Kent, in south-east England.
Air: The closest major international airports to Sandwich are London Gatwick (84 miles) and London Heathrow (106 miles), which serve a number of destinations right across the world. There are several other options for domestic and European travel, including London City (78 miles), London Southend (91 miles) and London Stansted (99 miles).
Bus – There are several local Stagecoach buses that run to Sandwich from the main towns of Kent, including Canterbury (route 43), Deal and Dover (route 80/81) and Ramsgate (route 45). Further information is available on the Stagecoach website here.
Driving/Parking – There is no parking available at the Golf club during The Open, however there is a Park & Ride service available. This can be booked on the official website here, with prices starting at £15 during the Championship if booked in advance or £20 upon arrival, £5 for motorbikes.
- Driving directions from the North – Leave the M25 at Junction 2, after the Dartford Crossing. Follow the A2 and continue onto to the M2, then continue along the A299 at the end of the motorway and follow signs for The Open Park & Ride.
- Driving directions from the West – From the M25, continue onto the M26 at Junction 5, then merge onto the M20 and follow signs for The Open Park & Ride.
- Driving directions from the South – Follow the A20 towards Dover, then follow signs for the A2 on approach to the port. Continue for 2.5 miles, then leave the A2 to join the A256 and follow signs for The Open Park & Ride.
Train – Sandwich Railway station is approximately a 20 minute walk from Royal St. George’s. During The Open, there will be direct services from London St Pancras International, London Charing Cross and London Bridge to Sandwich, passing through Ashford International, Stratford International and Ebbsfleet International. Services from London St Pancras will have a journey time of 90 minutes.
From Ashford, Stratford or Ebbsfleet you can also connect to regional services to Canterbury, Margate and Folkestone. Saindwich railway station is also on the Kent Coast Line, with a service between Ramsgate and Dover.
Where to stay in Kent
Playing at Royal St. George’s Golf Club
Playing at the Royal St. George’s Golf Club. Green fees at the time of writing were:
- July – October 2020: £250
- November 2020 – February 2021: £160
- March 2021: £185
- April – October 2021 (excluding July): £250
- November 2021 – February 2022: £160
To book your tee time click here.
Further Information & Events
Tweets by RoyalStGeorges1
Last Updated on May 21, 2021 by Sports Tourist